Saturday, June 29, 2013

:: Vlog - Australian Accent ::

I am fascinated by accents. Whenever one of my friends from overseas posts a little video on Vine or Instagram I secretly hope I will be able to hear them talk because I love, love, love accents. I think I have a pretty standard Australian accent, but I get asked a LOT if I'm from America or New Zealand. Um, no. In light of this I thought I'd make a video for you guys so you can hear what I sound like!

I did a Google search and found a list of words that are apparently said differently around the world. Here they are so you can read them while you watch my video:
Aunt, roof, route, wash, oil, theatre, iron, salmon, caramel, fire, water, sure, data, ruin, crayon, toilet, New Orleans, pecan, both, again, probably, spitting image, Alabama, lawyer, coupon, mayonnaise, syrup, pyjamas, caught, orange, coffee, direction, naturally, aluminium, herbs.

And then some questions:
What is the bubbly carbonated drink called?
What do you call gym shoes?
What do you say to address a group of people?
What do you call the kind of spider that has an oval-shaped body and extremely long legs?
What do you call your grandparents?
What do you call the wheeled contraption in which you carry groceries at the supermarket?
What do you call it when rain falls while the sun is shining?
What is the thing you change the TV channel with?

And then a passage to read:
Please call Stella. Ask her to bring these things with her from the store: six spoons of fresh snow peas, five thick slabs of blue cheese, and maybe a snack for her brother Bob. We also need a small plastic snake and a big toy for the kids. She can scoop these things into three red bags and we will go meet her Wednesday at the train station.


Do I sound different than you expected? I'd love it if you could make a video and post the link in the comments below so I can hear what you sound like!

14 comments:

  1. Aaaah you're so cute! I could listen to you forever, seriously. I think I will make a video too, although I'll probably just sound like a loser.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tsk, Felicia. All the Canadians I've met have been real cool. :)

      Delete
  2. awww how sweet to hear your voice! People with Suffolk accents (the area where I live) always get mistaken for Austrailian by Americans haha! I don't think I have an accent as we travelled around so much when I was little, but I probably have picked up more Suffolk then anything as I've lived here the longest xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your Aussie accent, haha! Surprisingly, a lot of the things that you say, e.g. trolley, petrol station, bonnet, fizzy drink, etc. are the same as what we say in England :-)
    I would LOVE to try making a video like this... Watch this space, haha :-)

    Chloe xxx
    http://www.chloe-tam.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh! I want to do this! I'll have to pack my webcam with me this week.

    I think accents are fascinating, too. I would love to take some accent speaking classes. My ex-boyfriend did when he was at Regent University for acting. His class would go over the same dialogue and adjust them phonetically in writing based on different accents' patterns, then practice them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved hearing the voice behind the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eeek! It's so cool to hear your voice! I always read your letters with an Australian accent in my head :)

    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. You sound like a Brit at the very start...and then your accent goes completely Australian! You already know what I sound like hahah. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay, okay, I'm posting again because I just today sat down to listen to your video. You sound So Darling!

    1. "Cordial." I don't hear the word very often (I think it's rather fancy), and it made me so happy to hear it in your voice!
    2. Your trying-to-say-the-American-aunt face is adorable.
    3. Your whole face is adorable! Not just when you're trying to say aunt! You actually remind me of Jenna-Louise Coleman.
    4. Did you say "haych?" (4:46)
    5. I have never heard it called "fizzy." That's kinda cute.
    6. 5:28 I laughed SO hard!!! You are so cute and funny!
    7. I really like the phrase sun shower. I'm going to have to start using that. I like foot path, too.
    8. "Channel changer." Really? Is that a Jasmine thing or an Australia thing?
    9. Rabbit on?

    This was super delightful. :) Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ohhh I remember something similar to this doing the rounds a little while ago :) I love hearing peoples accents too. In the UK we say route the same way as you, I found the other way really bizarre.

    Alyssa always loves hearing my accent lol, I'll make a little instagram video for you both - I say data completely differently from both the examples you said hahaha. An instagram just saying words is going to be odd isn't it :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it Jas. You were spot on with so many of the things. I love when you mentioned bogan and I wonder if anyone really noticed it? Haha! I may do one of these at some point. x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this! I think the Aussie accent is often confused with the kiwi accent or even the English accent in America. You sound pretty much like I expected...

    PS: Enter the Cosima Skincare giveaway today: http://www.underlockandkeyblog.com/2013/07/cosima-organic-skincare-review-and.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my gosh I have never heard your voice either!! I loved this video, you sound way less bogan then I do. You look so pretty and are just so freaking cute!! I had a little giggle at route :P When I was in the UK everyone thought I was American and then vice versa!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I find my accent isn't typically Australian, more neutral. Australians rarely pick me as Aussie when I'm overseas. BUT, I do become more bogan-sounding the longer I'm away. The 'g'day's' and 'mates' came out a lot! I can hear the difference between Australian states too, beyond the slang we use! Haha and I use the 'zapper' to change tv channels, but Lance uses the 'buttons'.

    ReplyDelete